Saturday, July 30, 2011

Four Cheese Zucchini Quiche.


"Real men don't eat quiche!" 

I don't remember who came up with this statement, maybe Tim Allen or some other "manly" man, but this particular recipe is filled with the one thing my man loves...cheese.  

I know...not too healthy for him (or me either) and that is why I make this one time a year, during summer and that is it! Fresh zucchini sprouts from my garden.  If you need a great dish  for taking to friends who need meals for whatever reason, this quiche is great.  You can make two, one for you and one for your friend.  Quiche is delicious any time of the day, cold or warmed up and very portable.  

Inspired by my long-time friend since junior high,  Karolyn, I encourage you to check out her site at FOODjimoto.com.  She authors a  wonderful blog about her family and  friends and  posts scrumptious recipes beautifully  photographed and presented.  My pictures here do not compare in the least, but I thought it would be fun to try anyways. 



So, here is my recipe for:

Shredded Zucchini and Four Cheese Quiche 

8 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Redi-made pie crust (I get the deep dish kind).
green onions, chopped including tops
2 small shredded zucchini
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup shredded jack cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 

Start cracking those 8 eggs into a mixing bowl.

Add the milk


pressed garlic, salt and pepper


Pre-shred all your cheeses.  I buy the Parmesan all ready to go. 
Add 1/4 cup Parmesan to your eggs mixture.

Ready to be whisked...(not away, but in the bowl).  It was impossible to whisk and photograph. The camera might have landed in the eggs;  trust me. So sorry visual people. 

Green onions...mmm I love them.  Have you ever seen a green onion seed?  It looks like this:  .
             (That's not a period, it is a seed).

Start layering.  Yes, I know it is summer, but this layering will warm you up inside!  
Swiss cheese and then the green onions,
shredded zucchini all on top of that.
 Top with more cheese, jack and Mozza.

At this point, you just have fun adding the cheeses and left over green onions. 
A food processor comes in handy for the cheese and the zucchini. 
Zucchini shredding!  The kids will never know it is in there! 

Ready for the eggs that will hold it all together. 

Pour your egg mixture carefully and totally everywhere over your cheese.  It will seep carefully down and in between.  

Bake at 350-degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until center is firm when lightly touched.

I like that word:  firm.  

–adjective
1.
not soft or yielding when pressed; comparatively solid, hard, stiff, or rigid: firm ground; firm texture.
2.
securely fixed in place.
3.
not shaking or trembling; steady: a firm voice.
(Dictionary.com) 
 I am reminded of someone who stands strong, like a parent with a rule, or a soldier on watch, or...

Your eternal word, O LORD, stands firm in heaven.

1 Corinthians 15:58 (NIV)

Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

So, I hope you enjoyed my "cheesy" blog today.  Let me know if you tried my recipe! Comments welcomed!

3 comments:

  1. Colenne,
    I just woke up to read this and now I am so hungry. No one enjoys cheese more than me! Of course, it is also not good for me either but so good tasting! Yummy blog today and I liked your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm...yummy. Thanks for the Considerable Food Thoughts..and pictures:) Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, should have baked this for my birthday, totally decadent. I love your pictures and the quiche looks good enough to eat! Ted is a lucky man...

    ReplyDelete