Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Poetry: The Fragrance of Christmas

Poetry,  probably IS my favorite thing to write.  It comes naturally to me.  Sometimes in my thoughts I am rhyming words...Maybe that is weird...I don't know...This particular poem is one of my favorites.  I wrote it for the Christmas of 2006, the last Christmas we spent as a whole family.  I had started to illustrate it, but got sidetracked with...well, life these past few years.  Since I have been illustrating my "Worm" story,  I do plan on starting to sketch out ideas again for this poem next year.  For now, I hope you enjoy the sweet aroma and may Christmas  linger in the air long after the ornament  boxes are packed away and the New Year's diets begin.  



The Fragrance of Christmas

Can you smell Christmas? Does it linger in the air?
Can it permeate your nostrils and stay in your hair?
Oh there are many scents of Christmas, I 'm sure you can think,
Of a few  in general and some so distinct.

There is good food of course, some specialties,
Like turkey and prime rib and cookie recipes.

the kitchen smells of vanilla and sugar cookie dough,
Cinnamon and gingerbread, of these you do  know.

The Christmas tree is fresh and smells oh so clean.
The pine and the sap convey a mountain scene.

Hang some candy canes on the branches of the tree;
The peppermint and the cranberries for all to see.

Or some may string popcorn to zigzag around
"Save some to eat!" (While the hot chocolate goes down).
The smell of the fire burning up the chimney,
Brings a warm glow to our cheeks, thankfully.


Let us think on Christmas, so very long ago,
In a little town of Bethlehem where the angels will behold.
The birth of One special in the still of the night,
What were the fragrances of this Holy night?

Oh, I'm sure the stable was musty and stale;
The donkeys and cows swishing their tails.
The hay in the troughs or mangers to feed;
The smell of the earth and weary travelers in need.

But a baby was born on that starry night,
As shepherds gazed up to the heavenly sight,
Announcing His birth, "what a glorious day!"
Can you smell God's love, Yahweh?

The gifts were brought from the Wiseman as told,

Sweet aroma of frankincense, myrrh and gold.
Christ the Savior brings us still today,
Salvation, forgiveness...there was a price to pay.

The stench of our sin was the reason He came;
To drench us and cleanse us in Spirit without blame.
Because we believe and confess in our heart,
Christ's Love for all mankind will never depart.

So next time you breathe deep the fragrance all around,
Be thankful to Jesus whose promise you've found.
And share please, the Good News of His sweet scent,
The fragrance of Christmas is a love present.

Have a Sweet Smelling Christmas
12/2006
and now as well, Christmas 2009

I Corinthians 2:14  Thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.












3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I am with you...it is fun to write poems! And like you, they just come to me at the strangest times...like when I first wake up a poem will be going through my head?!?

    The "Fragrance of Christmas" is a sweet aroma and it was a pleasure to read this poem and take it all in in my mind and heart!

    Thanks!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet poem, thank you for sharing it. i know what you mean, i think in poetry sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. Competitions

    ReplyDelete